Vacations, Prioritization & Social Media

I'm one of those people who, as much as I want to go and need to go on vacation, have a self-inflicted excruciatingly painful week before I go.

On Sunday, I start planning my week and creating a long list of all of things I have to get done, both at work and at home. Last Sunday, my master to-do list looked something like this:
  • Facebook Expert Hour invitation
  • New hero spot started
  • Mobile app article reviewed, signed off & delivered
  • Meet w/ Fran to hand over social media reins
  • MCE page
  • Pedicure
  • Cat food
  • Mop kitchen floor
  • Pack....
You get the picture. A list of what I can realistically complete only with 33 hour days this week and no sleep.

By Tuesday, I'm beginning to panic. Meetings get added to my calendar. I spend hours on hold with the insurance company. The list is getting longer, not shorter. One to-do gets completed and crossed off, but five new ones are added. Plus two committee meetings that I can't miss this week. I'm working until midnight almost every night. I have trouble getting to sleep because my brain won't stop churning away, and I refuse to get up and work more.

And now all of a sudden it's Friday. I'll be on the plane in less than 24 hours. And it all becomes clear. I CANNOT get it all done. No one can. It was an impossible list to begin with, and I was setting myself up for failure to think it could all get done. And as that moment of truth dawns, I relax, and begin to prioritize. This task and that one really can wait until I get back. My colleague can manage this one. My web producer can text me when this one is done. One of the kids can mop.

And it makes me realize how important prioritization is to social media channels. My main ones, for now, are Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. I'm flirting with Google+ and Tumblr and StumbleUpon and YouTube and Pinterest, and have some new ones bookmarked for further investigation. And while it's important to test these new ones out, and perhaps integrate them into my overall social media mix, it's not critical that it happens right now, this week.  The week I'm back will be fine. When you're spread too thin, and try to take too much on, either you won't get it all done, or if by some miracle you do, it won't be your best work.

Prioritize. What a lovely word, releasing me. Aloha. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I conceive you might have remarked some very interesting details , appreciate it for the post

    Neighborhood restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your Work,Will suggest to my friends and relative

    Check for this one Florida History

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks local and floridavisitorcenter - appreciate your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete